Saturday, February 28, 2015

Back on the wagon 'long happy trails

The skies shone an azure blue, bounding with white, fluffy clouds. A girl looking like she was dressed for Carnival whizzed by me uphill on a bicycle, and we smiled at one another. Out on the bay, someone took advantage of the beautiful day by boat. And I enjoyed my first drunken powerwalk in four weeks.

I honestly thought I'd be under the table after having a few mocktails Friday night, but no such trauma. Just a little headache in the morning. Then it was off to buy flowers at TJs, drop off the rent check, pick up a delicious veggie gyro, and generally enjoy the day. To say it's nice to have liquid sunshine back in my life would be an understatement.

I've decided I need to commit to doing at least one fun/adventurous thing a month. Even if it involves something simple like getting out of the city, like the lunch I had in Pinole at Ravina's last week. Something to break up the routine, even though I enjoy my routine.

This is largely motivated by my every day acknowledgement of just how fucking fast life flies by. Friday marked my fifteen year anniversary at work. You know when you're young and haven't experienced so much of life, everything feels like it takes longer. You have elementary school, middle school, high school, college--a life divided up by classes, periods, Christmas breaks, and summer vacations. Then you're dropped into Real Adulthood with an actual job, rent, bills, a gym membership. Everything races by and seems like it's only broken up only by the annual holiday party.

I'm fairly certain I'm halfway through my life at this point, if not more so. So I just don't want to miss out on something I might not have normally taken the initiative to experience before I'm too old, too tired, too physically incapacitated, too mentally worn to be able to appreciate it.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

No shit, Sherlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment